Sunday, May 1, 2011

RRJ#5


Reference
Stone, M, D and Hoffman, T. (2011, April 21). How to Buy a Scanner. PC Magazine. Retrieved on April 26, 2011. From: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2355771,00.asp


Summary
In this article the author told us that getting a good scanner is intelligent. To get a good scanner you have to ask yourself several questions before you buy it. Also, having a background of what kind you want to scan and how many times you think you will scan it will help you to know about the right type of scanner. The author mentioned that most people scan photos and documents, but there are more options such as books, business cards and magazines that some people need to scan. He also pointed to the less common options people use which are 3D objects. The writer said if you want to scan a photo or a 3D object you will need a Flatbed. Also, scanning these kinds of photos or stamps could damage the original. He suggested using protectors to save the original. Also, he said the plastic could demote the quality of a scanner even if it is a new version. The writer told us about another option for when you want to scan a document with one or two pages; you will choose a Sheet Feeder. The author said the process of opening the scanner and putting the paper is something usual, but repeats scanning more than one or two times is something boring. The third option the writer gave us is the Automatic Document Feeder (ADF). The ADF is to scan longer documents and it gives you time to do other work while the scanner scans. Also this type has the advantage that you can put more paper in when the scanner is working. The author told us if we want to scan both sides of one paper we need to use a Duplexing scanner because it includes objects doing this process. The Duplexing scanner is faster, and the price is higher. The writer mentioned that when we want to buy a scanner, we must pay attention to the resolution because there are some photos or documents that require more resolution. Also he told us about the size of what we want to scan and the system that can run the scanner. Most scanners work with any system and sometimes the system will be included with the scanner. In the end, the author added some kind of scanner that can scan without a computer.


Reaction
            The scanner is one of computer devices that are used to copy photos or documents we have to our computer. For me, I don’t see that the scanner has a lot of importance. I think it is the least used of all the devices that we sue with the computer or alone. During my study, I haven’t focused on the scanners, but I learn some advantages from them. I learn there are many kinds, versions and different brands of scanners. And each one of the scanners has a special way to scan paper. From this article I learn that we must know what we want to scan, and also what we will use this scanner for. One year ago, I bought a scanner, but I never asked myself what kind I needed. I was thinking that every scanner would scan my paper, but the difference was just on the version and brand. With time, I was needing some specific processes that my scanner didn’t do. I asked a computer expert about this problem and he suggested that I buy another scanner. When I read this article I know more information about every use has a special type of scanner. Also we need to ask ourselves what is the need is that we need from the scanner.

No comments:

Post a Comment